Final Job Memo- Starbucks Barista


Starbucks Barista


People love drinking coffee nowadays. The barista at your favorite coffee shop is probably the person you will meet the most often beside your friends and family. During the summer of my freshman year, I worked at a Starbuck in my hometown in China. Although tasks like taking orders and preparing drinks might appear as simple and basic, being a good barista in a country where drinking coffee has not become a popular culture actually requires a lot more efforts than you would imagine. 

The word “barista” originally means “bartender” in Italian. Now we commonly use the word to describe those who specialize in serving coffee drinks. However, in Italy, a barista serves all kinds of drinks, not just coffee. It is both a technical and creative job that needs a lot of attention and care for other people. To make sure every customer leaves my store with a delicious beverage and a satisfied smile on their face, I have to learn how to tell the need of different clienteles, become an expert of the complicate product catalog and even have some knowledge in indoor decorations and design.

There are three descriptions that help you to redefine the duties of a Starbuck Barista in China:

• Personal Stylist
• Scientist 
• Indoor Designer

I’ll describe these using examples of what I do on a typical day.


Personal Stylist

The work of the personal stylist occurs in these three ways:
• Introducing different type of beverages to a new customer
• Becoming familiar with the latest seasonal drink menu 
• Finding the perfect drink for each customer according to their need

A majority part of my job is answering questions such as “I want to drink something sweet today” or “what’s new on the menu”. The process of finding people the right drink is a personal stylist doing makeovers. You have to be familiar with customer’s taste to make them the suitable recommendations.  A personal stylist would never ask you to a wear swimming suit to a formal meeting. Similarly, I would never convince the first-time coffee drinker to order a double espresso on ice because I want to save the customer from insomnia and bitterness. Aa good personal stylist should immediately understand customer’s style and taste, a good barista also knows what to expect and how to serve different people in the shop. Trust me, properly understand your clientele allows you to find the perfect timing to sell your product. 


Scientist 

In this role, the barista serves as the same role as the Walter White from Breaking Bad. Just like conducting chemical experiments, making a perfect Starbucks drink also involve rigorous procedures and proficient skills. We do this the sacred job of preparing your drinks by doing these three things:

• Measuring different ingredients by the exact amount
• Mixing ingredients under required temperatures
• Operating machinery such as the blender and the steamer

To save my customer, the time of waiting, the manager requires me to remember all 36 kinds of drink’s recipe by heart. Sometimes, I also have to make drinks according to people’s customized recipe. Customers with requests like “Grande hot green tea latte with no ice, no sweetener and soy milk” can be a barista’s nightmare because it significantly increases the difficulty of the task. And most importantly, you do not want your barista to make mistakes in preparing your food when you have allergies to some specific ingredients. Whenever my customers tell me that they are allergic to nuts, I will stay away from the cashew milk shelf and double check with all the commitments in the recipe. 


Indoor Designer

Starbuck in China is not only the place around the corner where you get your coffee every day but a high-ended beverage shop where a lot of young people choose to go on a date. Thus, as a barista part of our responsibilities is to be an indoor designer: 

• Designing our product display and draw the menu board
• Preparing seasonal decorations for the store 
• Changing the furniture layout and space arrangement

Although the decoration style of all Starbucks coffee shops looks quite similar, you will discover that each different shop actually has their own customized touch on the indoor design if you pay attention to details. Whenever we promote new drinks, instead of putting up a new poster, a barista often has to draw the menu board. I was also in charge of displaying our limited summer edition mug cups. I ended up spending hours on figuring out the best angles for every mug cup to make it desirable to customers. 

Comments

  1. Hi Anna, I am one of those people who loves to drink coffee :-) but I do have to admit I like Phil'z Coffee a lot. Where in China are you from? Double espressos are too bitter for me I am glad you do not recommend that to first time coffee drinkers. I did not know that baristas at Starbucks had to memorize how to make 36 different drinks. It makes it clear as to why making customized drinks can be difficult. What is your favorite drink at Starbucks? Mine is the ice-coffee with no sweetener and soy milk. Why do you think drinking coffee is not a part of the popular culture in China? When do you think this will change?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anna, I never how much went in to making coffee especially at a chain coffee shop. Also it is super cool that you are able to make people happy and have a good experience through the coffee you make them. I must be fun to meet different people, but at the same time it must hard to make sure that they are Starbucks experience is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anna! Baristas are definitely some of my favorite people so thank you very much for your service :). I like how you broke down the duties of the job because there is so much that really goes into! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Anna! I think your 3 descriptors explains your job perfectly. I used to work at a retail store, and we didn't have as much decorative freedom as you did, so I think it's cool you got to add your own touch to your store.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Anna! What an interesting job! I have been to many Starbucks in America, and I still have a special place in my heart for the Double Chocolaty Chip Frappuccino (with light ice, no whip, and no sauce) that my middle school self would order weekly. Now I feel bad for having such a specific order! Although I am much more health-conscious now, I still find your ability to remember and balance so many items at once admirable because many people would not be handle being a barista.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna, this was a very creative way of describing your job as a Starbucks barista in China. I was actually surprised to find out that coffee culture is not as developed in China. It was interesting to know that a barista in Starbucks can be viewed as a personal stylist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anna! I am Italian and I completely agree with your description of the word barista. However in Italy we don't have flavored coffe and the job is so much easier! I think therefore that americans should come up with a new word that would be more related to the variety of coffe a barista must master because the italian word is too reductive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Anna! I love your descriptions of your job as a barista, I thought it was a really creative twist! I also enjoyed how you compared the scientist role of being a barista to Walter White (Breaking Bad is my favorite show).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anna! I loved your creative comparisons of your duties as a barista - for example: comparing your job of creating suitable drinks to being a stylist and dressing a person according to their needs and desires. Coming from China, I know exactly how different the Starbucks culture is in China compared to America. Learning about the different roles baristas have in China is so fascinating!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment