Book Report On Growing a Farmer

Kurt Timmermeister's book- Growing a Farmer is one of the books that introduces me to a world of unknown excitement. This book is not only a story about growing his farm, but also his personal growth of becoming a farmer. Born and raised in an urban setting for my whole life, I have always loved a pastoral style of living and being in nature. With Kurt's guidance to live like a farmer, I was provided a chance to make my dream come true and become familiar with the daily routine of a farmer. Somehow Kurt's story's of opening a new chapter of his life as the only man in a strange island resembles the story of Robinson Crusoe to me. Just like Robinson has Friday as a capable assistant, Kurt also has his little helper, Matt, who is knowledgeable about growing crops on the farm and transformed the deserted farmland into a magical land of harvest.

I also enjoyed this read not only because of the novel content of the book, but also his down to earth writing style. Without any flowery languages, his book is full of vivid details that present a realistic story of how a person who has been living in the city for his whole life began to work and learn to live on the farm of his own. I especially enjoyed the beginning of the book, when he tells his readers how he made the decision to purchased this deserted property on the island and turned it into a farm on his own. He confessed to his reader the fact that he did not know how to drive and he was short on cash at that time so his only choice was the cheapest one from all the real estate agency's listings like talking to an old friend. Throughout his writing, there are many details like this that honestly present his thoughts and feelings at different stages of his life, which make the story of Kurt become more and more convincing and relatable to me.

Besides his honesty towards his readers, I am also inspired by Kurt's optimism and adventurous spirit. The fact that he was able to make up his mind to purchase the property even though he had no previous experience in farming has proven the that he is a man of action. At the beginning, Kurt has also encountered countless failures in beekeeping, vegetable growing, and even in picking the proper kind of wood to put in the fireplace in winter. Although he expressed his concerns to his readers about being too impulsive from time to time, he never considered giving up. He is always eager to seek new challenges in his life and embrace frustrations in a positive way. After reading the first half of the book, I am impressed by his passion for life and admire him for his positivity in difficult situations.

Although I enjoyed reading details in his book a lot, one thing that bothers me is that his stories often lack highlights. Kurt's way of telling a story is the only thing that I both love and need to criticize this book.  It is true that the narratives are easy to read and extremely relatable, but sometimes Kurt expresses his story in a too straightforward way that I would consider as bland. I find myself lose attention from time to time and skip to the end of the story because of the massive amount of details in the book. However, I think my tolerance for his rambling grows over time and I look forward to reading the other half of the book to learn more about his life on the farm.

Comments